food. your name shall be lucy.

We had one exciting weekend trip to Melbourne to pick up my new KitchenAid mixer, errr...Duke. We just so happened to pick up my new KitchenAid mixer the weekend we pick up Duke (Duke will be a post, hopefully soon).

Lucy was a gift from Nate. I recently turned 30 and this year will be the year I conquer baking...maybe. Or at least attempt to. Anyway, I was told I had to name her - she's bright red and I'm sure will help me have some laughs in the kitchen. I'm learning how to bake. Bake for real, not from a box. We'll see how this goes.

First recipe was a success! I went with cupcakes. They were for a get-together. I figured if I totally screwed them up, I could whip up a batch from a box (plan b). Always thinking ahead.

One Bowl Chocolate Cake III from Allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups AP flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Insert cupcake wrappers into a cupcake pan.
2. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


3. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
4. Slowly mix in boiling water (I only ended up using about 1/2 the cup) until batter thins.
5. Pour evenly into cupcake pan.


6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until the cake is done (use the toothpick test).
7. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
8. Decorate if you want.

Jen's Notes: 
  • I was a bit worried when the batter went thin after adding the boiling water, don't worry - it's part of the process of deliciousness
  • For the original recipe, click here
  • I used the awesome Cream Cheese Frosting II recipe (also from Allrecipes) for decorating

 It should look something like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment