I came across this recipe in my inbox and since spring is upon us (supposedly), I thought it would be a great, light weeknight meal to pair with grilled asparagus. I don't know how 'kid-friendly' it would be but I think it's perfect for couples and those who are eating for one. Enjoy!
Ricotta, Arugula, and Fried Egg Open-Faced Sandwich | myrecipes.com
- 4 (2-ounce) slices whole-wheat country bread
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Combine arugula, 2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently.
Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and thyme;
Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan; cook 2 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 2 minutes or until whites are set. Remove from heat.
While eggs are cooking, toast bread and spread ricotta mixture over bread slices.
Divide salad and eggs evenly over bread.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Nate and Kyong seemed to enjoy these sandwiches, as we all went back for seconds. This recipe is a keeper and would be perfect for brunch as well.
Click here for the original recipe.