Spring is in Australia! It's getting
Summer Vegetable Stir Fry from bonappetit.com
3 cups mixed tender herbs, divided (such as basil, Thai basil, mint, cilantro, tarragon, and celery leaves) | I opted for basil, mint, cilantro, celery leaves.
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, divided
1 1/2-inch piece peeled ginger, sliced
1 garlic clove
7 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Pinch of red pepper flakes | An additional we made
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked, cooled wheat berries, farro, or brown rice
| I opted for brown rice
4 cups chopped mixed summer vegetables (such as bell peppers, eggplant, chiles, zucchini, summer squash, carrots, celery, radishes, and cherry tomatoes)
| I opted for zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms
1. Combine 2 cups of herbs, 1/4 cup scallions, ginger, and garlic in a mini-processor. Pulse to chop ingredients.
2. Add 4 Tbsp. oil, vinegar, and 1/4 cup water and process until a coarse purée forms.
3. Transfer herb sauce to a bowl and stir in sesame seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You can do this ahead of time - Herb sauce can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until oil just begins to smoke. Add remaining 1/4 cup scallions and brown rice.
5. Stir-fry until rice are golden brown and slightly crunchy. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Divide rice among plates.
7. Return skillet to medium-high heat and add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil.
8. Add vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry until brightly colored and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup herbs and toss to combine.
9. Divide vegetables over brown rice. Drizzle with herb sauce.
Next time, I would just use Thai basil and mint for the mixed herbs. If you'd like a bit of a kick, don't forget the red pepper flakes.